The First 50 Years
On May 30th 1905 a meeting was held to organize the Madoc Agricultural Society. The district Fair consisted of the Townships of Madoc, Elzevir,Huntingdon,Marmora and Rawdon. By June there were 90 members. The Fall Fair was held Sept. 14 & 15 on rented property on the Old Marmora Road, on the Rodgers property, one-half mile south of the village in Huntingdon Township.
In 1906, the new Madoc and District Agricultural Society included the Townships of Madoc,Elzevir, Huntingdon, Grimsthorpe, Tudor, Cashel, Limerick, Wollaston, and the village of Madoc.
In 1922 under the able leadership of President John C. Smith, the property known as the “Charles Farm” was purchased from J.R. Robinson for $3,000.00. This consisted of 49 acres north- east of the village of Madoc, located in the Township of Madoc. Many volunteers built a half-mile race track, ticket office, secretary’s office, judges stand, foundations for a 60 x 36 ft. exhibit building, a poultry building and prepared livestock sheds.
At the annual meeting in 1931, Mr. Samual Rollins was thanked for the fine gift to the Society of a beautiful building intended for the display and competitions of fruit, dairy products and roots.
The Next 50 Years
In 1955 the gate reciepts topped the $2,700 mark and the money paid out in prizes amounted to $2,100.
It was decided to organize a ladies division in 1961. R.N. Broad was President and R.A. Woods was Secretary.
Built in 1966 the swine barn was used as an assembly area for the Hog Marketing Board.
In 1976 the Municipality of Centre Hastings built the arena.
In 1986 a new Bandstand was erected in honor of Francis Tobin.
A new show ring was constructed in 1989, and in 1990 a new Demolition Derby Ring to the south of the Arena. They moved the sheep barnt to its new location in 1993.
A commemorative stone was engraved and placed in a flower bed at the Main Gate Entrance to celebrate our 100th year in 2005.
100 years plus
Maguires Motocross Racing Series (M.M.R.S.) has been a welcome asset to out Fairgrounds since 2010.
Officially opening the 5 KM Track in 2013
Too Be Continued…….